Monday 5 October 2015

25-yr-old beheads man after stealing his money, Strangled girlfriend for aborting pregnancy


Nemesis has caught up with a 25-year-old man, Cyril Ojango Etim, who beheaded 34-year-old Ubong Asuquo, after stealing N4000 from him in Old Netim, Akamkpa Local Government Area of Cross River State.

Etim allegedly committed the hei­nous crime on February 27, 2015. As we gathered from the Cross River State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Henry Fadairo, the suspect broke into the house of the Asuquo, stole the sum of N4000 and ran off.

The victim saw him leaving his house and pursued him with his mo­torcycle to a nearby bush. Holding his cutlass in his hand, he ran into the bush after the suspect and caught up with him. A fight ensued between them. In the process, the suspect overpowered the victim and then beheaded him.

We learnt that the suspect had previously been to the home of the victim, where he stole N3000 the first time. It was on his second visit to steal the said sum of N4000 that the victim saw him and gave the hot fatal chase that led to his gruesome murder by the suspect.

After killing the victim, Etim escaped from the community and took refuge in Akwa Ibom State. In the course of investigations, the Assistant Commissioner of Police, in-charge of the State Criminal In­vestigation Department, Mr. Ganiyu Salami revealed to us that police detectives discovered the alleged role of Etim in the death of Asuquo and eventually traced him to Akwa Ibom, where he was arrested in August 2015.

When the police interrogated him, it came out Etim had a history of raping ladies. In one instance that happened in 2012, the lady wrested herself free and escaped to inform youths in the neighbourhood, who later caught Etim and took him to the elders. He was cautioned and set free.

As if propelled by an evil spirit, Etim, the Cross River State Police Commissioner further explained, strangled his girlfriend in 2013, for aborting a two-month pregnancy. He was arrested for the crime in Akamkpa, charged to court and remanded in custody at Afokang Prison, Calabar.

Strangely, Etim was released during a visit by the State Chief Judge in 2014.

At the headquarters of the Cross River State Police Command, where he is being held as investigations progress, we spoke with Etim, and he confessed to the crimes as alleged by the police.

His words: “I have raped ladies and also stolen various things from people. Yes, it is true that one lady I tried to rape escaped from me and told the youths in my area. The youths beat me. I had a girlfriend, Esther, who became pregnant after I raped her. She told me that she was pregnant and that it had reached two months. I told her to keep the preg­nancy. She refused and aborted it. When she told me that she aborted the pregnancy, I strangled her. I was arrested by police men at Akamkpa. They took me to court, and kept me in Afokang Prison in Calabar. It was when the chief judge visited the prison yard that I was released in 2014.”

He recounted how the incident happened: “I stole money from the house of Asuquo two times. The first time I stole N3000. When I went the second time, I took N4000, but the man saw me leaving his house and I ran away to the bush. He pursued me with his motocycle. In the bush we fought and I used his cutlass to cut off his head. I ran to my village in Akwa Ibom State in February 2015. The police came there to arrest me in July 2015.”

Etim is now awaiting the day the police will charge him to court.

Source: The Papers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonders will never end, na wao