Sunday 6 December 2015

My life under threat, says husband of woman tortured by DPO


Tunde Bamidele, the husband of a pregnant woman who allegedly lost her two-month-old pregnancy after she was assaulted by a Divisional Police Officer in the Ogun State Police Command, Amos Samuel, says his life is currently under threat.

Tunde cried out barely 24 hours after the DPO, a Chief Superintendent of Police in charge of Kemta Police Division, was removed from his position by the state Commissioner of Police, Abdulmajid Ali, on the order of the Inspector- General of Police, Solomon Arase.

The 41- year-old contractor told our correspondent on Thursday in Abeokuta that he had vacated his Abeokuta home along with his three children.

Tunde, whose wife, Risikat Bamidele, is still at the General Hospital, Ijaiye, Abeokuta, said he fled from home after he noticed strange faces around his residence.

He said he did not want to gamble with his life, adding that he had relocated his three children to a friend’s house.

He said his children could no longer go to school since the incident occurred, which had confined their mother to a hospital bed.

Tunde said he had been going through a lot of trauma taking care of himself ─ being an ulcer and diabetic patient ─ and his wife, and coping with the demands of the children.

Tunde said the doctors taking care of his wife had also demanded three pints of blood, as her condition was not improving.

He said, “I have already fled the house because my life is under threat. I have also relocated my three children to a friend’s place since I don’t have families in Abeokuta. I don’t want anything to happen to me or my family.

“I learnt some policemen were in my house; I don’t know what they were looking for and the DPO has been sending emissary to beg me for the matter to be resolved amicably.

“The condition of my wife is also not improving. Her blood level, I learnt, has reduced to 19 per cent as against 32 per cent as at the time we got to the hospital on Sunday. The doctors have demanded three pints of blood.”

The distraught husband said since Sunday, he had spent over N30,000 on medical bills and had started borrowing money from friends and relations to take care of his wife.

He said if it were possible, he would want those responsible for his wife’s ordeal, to bring back his unborn child.

It will be recalled that the DPO allegedly assaulted Tunde’ wife, who was at the police station because her husband was detained.

Risikat was allegedly assaulted and detained till the following morning for attempting to make a call to her brother-in-law to inform him of her husband’s ordeal.

Meanwhile, the state police command assured that justice would be done in the matter.

No comments: