Wednesday 27 January 2016

Security man arrested for using unlicensed pistol


The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a security guard, who claimed to be working with the Yaba College of Technology, Babatunde Lawal, for allegedly being in possession of an unlicensed pistol.

Our correspondent learnt that 33-year-old Lawal was arrested by the Ajah Police Division, Ajiwe, while he was on the institution’s landed property in the Ibeju Lekki area.

The property was said to be about 20 hectares.

Our correspondent gathered that Lawal, who hails from the Oyingbo area of Lagos State, was arrested on December 26, 2015, after some of the residents allegedly caught him with the gun and reported him to the police.

It was learnt that Lawal was arrested and thereafter transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Ikeja.

Lawal narrated that the threats he got from land speculators, aka omo onile, was what necessitated his purchase of the gun.

Lawal, who said he bought the pistol for N20,000, claimed that he never robbed with it, but used the weapon for personal protection.

He said, “I work with the YABATECH as a security man. The gun is never for robbery. I use the weapon to keep watch over YABATECH’s landed property in the Ibeju Lekki area. The land is about 20 hectares.

“I am the only guard on the land, and omo oniles had made attempts to trespass on the land. So, I got the gun. I bought it for N20,000. I have escaped death in the area on two occasions before getting the gun.

“It was one of those omo oniles who reported me at the Ajah Police Station that I have a gun. But I am the only one who watches over the place. The police should release me because I do not have any skeleton in my cupboard. The gun is for security purpose only.”

The Public Relations Officer, YABATECH, Mr. Charles Oni, could not be reached for comment, as his phone rang out. A text message also sent to his mobile phone had yet to be replied to as of press time.

The Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, who paraded Lawal and other suspects at the command headquarters, said he would be charged to court.

No comments: