Monday 1 February 2016

I want divorce, my wife wants to kill me, man tells court


A 65-year-old husband has dragged his wife before an Asaba High Court, seeking divorce over alleged harlotry and husband battery.

While testifying before the court, the man told the court that “my wife wants to kill me, she beats me every day, and she is a harlot. I can no more continue with the marriage for the above reasons and moreover, she drove away my children that my first wife had for me before she died.”

Continuing, the man told the court that because of the allegation, he is banned by his tradition to eat her food or she touches his clothes but his wife always went against this.

The complainant, who is an Asaba-based builder but an indigene of Enugu State, said he married his present wife after his first wife died and that he re-married so that his present wife will help bring up his four children that he had with his late wife.

According to him, “I married my wife in 1998 and did the church wedding at Catholic Church of Assumption, Zappa, in Asaba. Since then, we have two children; a boy and a girl, but this woman always threatens to kill me, she beats me at every chance, and many times, I go into coma. She vowed that she must kill me and she sent all my children packing, I cannot continue with the marriage.

“She beats me most times, but it came to a climax on January 17, 2016, when she took something and hit my head in an attempt to kill me, so that I would not be able to pursue the divorce case in court, but thank God, her mission did not come to reality as I overcame her plan.

“She is a harlot, she beats me every day. I cannot eat her food again because she is a harlot. It is against my tradition and I want the marriage dissolved before she kills me,” the 65 year-old man told the court.

When the trial judge however, asked the wife who is in her 40s, about the issues raised by the husband, she debunked, her husband’s allegations and asked, “what will make me to beat or attempt to kill my husband? We stay in the same house, sleep on the same bed, I am taking good care of him, but I don’t know what is wrong’.

At the end, the trial judge adjourned the case to February 17, 2016, and requested the man to come to court with his first son.

He further stated that anybody with useful information on how to arrest the perpetrators should not hesitate in giving out such information to the Police, Directorate of Transport as well as the management of Delta Line Company.

Police officers at the Kwale Police Division who did not want their names in the print, confirmed the incident, saying efforts were being made to arrest the hoodlums presently on the run.

No comments: