Thursday 21 April 2016

I kidnapped my niece because her dad was stingy —Suspect


A 20-year-old man, Olayinka Taiwo, who was arrested by the Anti-Kidnapping Squad of the Oyo State Police Command, has said that he decided to kidnap his three-year-old niece, Labake (not real name) because the victim’s father was not very generous whenever he asked him for money.

Taiwo, according to the police boss in the state, Leye Oyebade, kidnapped the child on March 30 from her parents’ residence at Adegbayi area of Ibadan, after which he took her to an unknown destination.

The police commissioner said that the suspect later demanded for a ransom of N500,000 from the young girl’s parents before she could be released to them. He added that his men were able to locate the hideout of the kidnappers after the case was reported, leading to Taiwo’s arrest and the rescue of the victim.

The suspect, who pleaded for forgiveness, told Crime Reports that his friend was the mastermind and executor of the kidnap plan. He said the friend took the action after he reported to him that his brother-in-law was miserly towards him.

According to him, “my brother-in-law used to tell me that he didn’t have any money to give me anytime I came back from school or visited his household. I told a friend of mine and he said he knew what to do that would make my in-law give me money. On Wednesday, March 30 my friend came home with my niece around 7.30p.m. I asked him why he went for her and he replied that I was the one who asked for money.

“My friend asked for my sister’s number and I gave him. He sent his account number to my sister. He told me he was going to request for N200,000 but I learnt he asked for N500,000. Since my arrest, I have not been able to see him. I was warned by others to steer clear of the friend because he was released from police cell not quite long, but I usually had no one to relate with as a peer. He was the one who led to where I am but I know that God will forgive me.”

The little girl’s mother, Mrs Abdulsalam, who appeared to be in a state of discomfiture after the experience, narrated her daughter’s ordeal thus: “Taiwo is my brother. On Tuesday, around 7.00 p.m., I was looking for my daughter. When we could not find her, I was advised to report at police station. 

“That night, someone called hiding his number. He asked to speak with my husband. Later, when I was at the police station, he called again, saying that my husband was owing him N200,000. He threatened that he would not release my daughter until the money had been paid.

“He gave me until Friday but I promised to pay the following day, saying that he should send an account number. He sent it and my husband was advised to pay N50,000 into it. When he tried to withdraw the money, he could not, so he called me. I told him I didn’t know what happened. 

“I pleaded with him to allow me speak with my daughter but he refused. Instead, a young lady spoke with me and said I should look for N100,000 to pay, promising to get my back to me that same night. 

At 9.30p.m., they asked me to meet them with the money at Olode junction and I went with three men. They later directed me to Adegbayi junction and asked me to turn into a street. They even told me the colour of the dress I wore. 

“When I did not see them, I returned home. They called me later and said I came to them with three men. They called me again and I went with a friend’s phone which I borrowed because my battery had gone flat. They asked me to drop the phone and walk away from the spot. After a while, I turned back and found that the phone had been taken. I started weeping but suddenly I saw my daughter emerge from a corner.”

No comments: