Thursday 15 September 2016

Lagos police arrest disabled phone thief


The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a suspected thief, Sunday Vincent, for allegedly stealing mobile phones at the Ojota Motor Park.

Vincent, who has a sore in his right leg, said he went into the crime because of his sore, adding that he wanted to raise money for treatment.

The suspect, who was arrested by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad on Monday, said he sustained the injury three years ago.

He said, “I was injured about three years ago when I was a bus conductor. Since that time, I had been nursing the sore. I have spent all my life savings on it. When helps were no longer coming my way, I deliberately committed the offence to cater to my well-being and continue to treat the sore.

“After I was caught, I realised that I had sinned against God and man. If I had known, I would have chosen another means to raise money.”

Vincent told the police that the receiver of the stolen phones, one Samuel Ajekigbe, was his benefactor who accommodated him when he had no place to live.

The police were said to have arrested Ajekigbe at his residence on Oyinbo Orunmila Street, in the Unity Estate area of Ojodu.

Ajekigbe, however, said the suspect only told him he saw the phones on the ground on his way home.

“He only told me he found them on the ground on his way home. Then, I decided to help him to sell them for N8, 000. And out of that money, he gave me just N2,000,” he added.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, said the two suspects would be prosecuted accordingly.

No comments: