Sunday 15 November 2015

I’m living legacy of helping the poor -Jennifer Eliogu

Jennifer Eliogu

There is no gain saying it, Jenni­fer Chioma Eliogu has come a long way as far as Nollywood is concerned. But what most people don’t know about the light skinned ac­tress is that she is also a musician. While she has made a name for herself as an ac­tor, she is yet to hit the home stretch as far as Nigerian music is concerned. In this interview with Entertainer, Jennifer gives an insight into her music career and her NGO.

Excerpts:

What genre of music do you play?

I do a littl e bit of this and that. I like soul, R&B, highlife and reggae. I do a lot of gospel and inspirational stuff as well.

People call you the female version of R. Kelly…?

Ok, maybe I just do whatever comes to my heart and I feel but whatever kind of song I do I make sure it adds value. I like classics; I am not a regular artiste though and for me, it is show business all the way. If you do the show and you get the business right you will make a lot of money eventu­ally. However, I put the message before the money. I do songs that add value, make sense and have meaning. I write my songs. It is not all about the rhythm, it is also about the content, lyrics and the message.

When you wake up in the morning to write songs, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?

I don’t just wake up and decide I want to write a song. Inspiration could come even while you are cooking, jogging, taking a walk or watching television and when it comes, it is spontaneous so I record it on my phone or Ipad or I hum it so that I don’t forget the melody and then I build it from there. When I wrote Ifunanya I was actu­ally in the bathroom and before I knew it I unconsciously started humming. I quickly picked up my phone and recorded it and to­day the rest is history.

So where do you record?

It depends on the producer I am work­ing with. I have worked with about three producers so far. I have worked with Chris Okoro, he is a legend and has been around forever. He has the ability to interpret my feelings and thoughts. Along the line I thought of working with someone younger and newer if you understand what I mean so I hooked up with Charles Duke and he has done about four of my songs. Then I got introduced to another young guy, Da­vid Daniels. We just did a song which we are wrapping up. So it depends but what­ever happens, we record at some studio then hit Koga Studios for mix mastering and stuffs like that. So it depends on who I am working with. I actually do live band.

What about your band?

I have a band that goes to virtually all my shows with me. It is called the Silk Band and the band is giving me an edge in the industry.

What is your experience playing mu­sic so far?

In recent times I have been lucky to chose where I perform and the kind of au­dience I am looking for. I have had more shows abroad than at home. I am still try­ing to stamp my foot on the sands of time when it comes to music. I want to do ever­green songs. I am not in a hurry. I am doing music for life just like I am doing acting for life as well; you can’t take that away from me. I take it slowly but surely. I have had opportunities to be on stages in America, UK, and Canada and recently in South Af­rica, where I performed at Desmond Tutu’s 60th wedding anniversary. These are the kind of things I want to do.

I got a standing ovation after my perfor­mance is SA. That experience made me know I was on the right path. So for me it is not a do or die affair. I take it slowly but surely.

How have you been managing both ca­reers; music and acting?

I finished secondary school in 1992 and started acting in 1997. Now that is a long time ago so I am not battling anymore to be seen or heard in the movie industry be­cause I have paid my dues. On the other hand, I am still trying to leave a legacy in music

One other thing that is taking your time is your NGO, Initiatives for Devel­opment Empowerment for Absolute Sta­bility (IDEAS), how are you copping?

I have had IDEAS since 2008. When we started off it was with the youths but now we have grown to giving aid to prisoners. We have been to more than 10 prisons in Nigeria. Combining all these has not been easy but these are things I have to do and I will do it to a great length. IDEAS has been lagging all this while because there is no stable funding to run it.

No comments: