Wednesday 9 March 2016

Loud Whispers: Rev King: Don’t Cry for Me


That is the message the Honourable Reverend King sent out to all of us his followers after the Supreme Court proved one more time that it had powers that superseded the spiritual. Those justices must have very strong Juju for them to be able to withstand whatever Rev. King threw at them. 

After all these years, his conviction was confirmed and affirmed and nothing short of a miracle would stop the holy man having breakfast with his colleagues like Idi Amin Dada and Mobuto of Zaire by this time next week. But this judgement has brought to me once again the debate about the legality or otherwise of capital punishment. Do I as a person support capital punishment, I would say NO. 

To me it serves no purpose and has never served as a deterrent, so I do not really see any reason why we should keep such statutes in our books in this modern day. I believe that everybody has a chance to reform even the most hardened of criminals and murderers. 

Their death does not bring back the victims, nor even lessens the pain of the relatives that the victim left behind. Well, who am I but a poor Akwa Ibom guy who really has nothing to gain or loose with the imminent death of this bald headed person who I hear poured kerosene on someone and burned the person alive. 

Can we look at this thing again with a view to canceling the death sentence from our law books. Please it’s really barbaric...

No comments: