Thursday 8 October 2015

Female local government boss in Lagos sacks 60 widow street sweepers for being 'too old'

Apapa-Iganmu Local Council Development Authority (LCDA) is currently embroiled in crisis over the decision of the authorities of the council area to sack 60 street sweepers, who are mostly widows.

Incidentally, the head of the LCDA is a woman, Alhaja Funmilayo Mohammed.

Mohammed was the vice chairman of the LCDA for six year before her appointment as the interim head.

Of the 100 sweepers in the council, she said 60 had to go because they were too old for the job, adding that she planned for a fresh recruitment.

It was learnt that she had claimed that Governor Akinwunmi Ambode directed her to sack the widows who were on a salary of N10,000 per month.

She reportedly claimed that insufficient fund was also responsible for the directive.

When she was told that the LCDA allocation in July was N67 million, N77 million in August and N50 million in September, she got angry and said: "Those who reported to you, are they saying I can't fire anyone again. Is what I did beyond my power?"

When told that mostly old women do the sweeping job coupled with the fact that they are widows, she replied: "I screened them before sacking them. I want to replace them with those who can work. Other local government simply sacked all of them. I still screened them. They are old women. If you can't come to the council for us to talk one-on-one, so I can see your I.D card, I don't have anything to say to you again."

Source: Tribune

No comments: