Tuesday 17 November 2015

75-year-old, others arrested for stealing meters, vandalising transformer


A 75-year-old man, Hassan Usman, has been arrested for allegedly tampering with a transformer in the Ikosi, Ketu area of Lagos State.
Usman had allegedly taken advantage of power interruption in the area on October 28 and tampered with the transformer belonging to the Ikeja Electric. He was reportedly caught in the process.

Two other suspects – Uzor Ayanwu and Peter Estamen – were also paraded alongside the septuagenarian on Friday at the Lagos State command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, for stealing electricity meters.

Ayanwu, an installer, who works with a contractor of IE, had allegedly stolen two prepaid meters and sold them for N40, 000 to Estamen, who was said to have been given N150,000 by an ex-worker of the company to get the meters.

However, Usman, who hails from Niger State, said he was heading for Mile 12 on the fateful day when he felt uneasy and decided to defecate on the platform of the transformer.

The 75-year-old said, “I was on my way to Mile 12 around 10am when I felt like using the toilet. As I entered where the transformer is installed to defecate, the electricity officials arrested me. I won’t gain anything from lying. The filth surrounding the transformer gave me the impression that I could use the place and it was not up to two minutes after that the officials came. I sell tomatoes in Mile 12 market. I am married with three wives.”

Ayanwu, 29, said he was forced into the crime because he was not paid for four months by the IE contractor who engaged his services. He said he had wanted to use the proceeds of the stolen meters to treat his ailing mother, who eventually died.

He said, “I am an installer. I work with IE, they arrested me because I took the meters away from our site. We were installing meters in the Akute area of Ogun State. Peter said I should help him get two meters. So, I told him when the meters were ready I would give him. He said he would give me N40,000 for the meters.

“We don’t sell it. It is for free. The problem is that the contractor said he was going to pay me but for four months that I have been installing meters, I haven’t received a kobo. I have been using the little money I have for transport. I am not happy. I wanted to use part of the money to help my mother who was ill, but unfortunately, she died.”

Speaking on the arrests, the NSCDC commandant in the state, Gabriel Abafi, said the three suspects had confessed to the crime during preliminary investigation.

He said, “Usman was caught vandalising the transformer. He quietly waited until power was interrupted before vandalising it. Upon interrogation, he said he had been in the business for a long time.

“We have granted him bail but he said he had no one and that he sleeps wherever night falls. The matter has been taken to court.”

The Head, Corporate Communications, IE, Mr. Pekun Adeyanju, said the company had started distributing the meters to residents free of charge since May. He urged the public to be patient and promised that every house would be given one.

No comments: